Dealing with multiple data center vendors across four continents in order to meet that golden 99.999% up-time for all of your clients is challenging at the best of times. Now add to that a global pandemic with entire countries in lockdown and where does that leave you when it comes to getting access to your back-end infrastructure?
This morning our thoughts are with all the health service workers globally at the front line of the COVID-19 battle. We salute you.
We’ve asked the management team to find ways we can deploy our energy, technology and expertise to support them in that battle. Please let us know if you have any ideas.
Here at Options we’ve been working from home for several weeks now in order to get ahead of the curve and test our BCP plans. I must admit it came as a shock to the system, particularly for someone who has worked in technical support for five years where it’s crucial to make it into the office.
First, remember there is always hope.
As of today, with the exception of onsite support, the Options teams in London, Belfast, New York and Auckland have been working exclusively from home for a week. We estimate that 90% of our desktop customers are now exclusively working from home, with the remaining 10% running split teams between home and the office. A remarkable pivot in a week.
It never rains but it pours. Over the last two weeks many firms opted to suspend cybersecurity patch schedules to reduce churn while they focus on BCP tests and general COVID-19 response IT planning. At Options we took the opposite view, accelerating patching on our internal systems. We believe cyber criminals are predators who will pounce the moment corporate cybersecurity teams get stretched or distracted.
For many who are still weathering the business continuity challenges of COVID-19, and arguably the greater challenge of unprecedented demand for remote working, the spotlight now turns to infrastructure capacity. Thankfully at Options, our infrastructure capacity solution is firmly at the forefront of our response strategy, and something we’ve been cultivating and anticipating for years.
Users should be aware of malicious emails and documents circulating on the internet purporting to contain important information regarding the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic.
Options recommend that anyone seeking information should visit official sources such as the World Health Organisation and, as always, avoid opening or clicking any unsolicited, unexpected, unusual or suspicions emails, links, documents or attachments.
The situation continues to evolve rapidly across many of the key financial sector hubs where our customers operate. A financial sector event of a similar scale to the 1987 “Wall Street Crash” is rapidly layering itself on top of a global public health emergency. At the time of writing, some key equity indexes including the Dax are down over 30% from their highs.